Economists agree that our unemployment crisis can only be resolved if businesses, small ones in particular, begin to create more jobs. Politics and policy aside, the simple fact is we need heroes to step up, be bold, and put people back to work.
This recovery depends on small business because:
- Over half the population is employed by Small businesses (under 500 employees)
- Small businesses have generated 65% of net new jobs over the last 17 years (U.S. Small Business Administration)
- The overall time to hire is estimated at 96 days (Luxottica Group)
- Hiring for a government job takes an average of 105 days! (Performance.gov)
- If all 3.5 million open jobs were filled today, unemployment rate would decline by over 3% (Clinton Global Initiative)
In line with their mission to eradicate unemployment, SmartRecruiters is announcing today the “Got Jobs? initiative.” This campaign celebrates the heroes of our economy, the job creators, and encourages small businesses to create jobs. Their goal is to create 1 million jobs.
I support this effort, and you should too. Here are a few things you can do:
- Tweet – The campaign hashtag is #GotJobs . Here are some #GotJobs Tweet ideas:
- The #GotJobs campaign aims to create 1 million jobs http://goo.gl/Br1OS
- Time to put America Back to Work. Time to Hire #GotJobs ? http://goo.gl/Br1OS
- Share – Share the Got Jobs page on Facebook
- Blog about the campaign and job creation from small businesses
- Brag – If you have yourself created a job this year, then grab a badge and brag about it
If we all look to someone else to solve this crisis, we’ll be looking at each other for a while. HR and business leaders – now is the time to focus on creating and filling the jobs that will move your organization and this economy forward. Be bold! This is a great way to start.
Another infusion of knowledge…